Friday, November 23, 2012

The weekly Raging Nerdgasm report

3D overdose, the fast track to SW VII, the Thanksgiving hangover (or as retail calls it, "black Friday")



I'm starting a new weekly collum to showcase a recap of what's going on in all things pop culture related, so let's get on with it.

OD'd on 3D


I'm not sure if I'm in the minority or majority, but I'm fatigued by the barrage of movies in 3D. Some movies it works, some it doesn't do anything. Like Avatar was amazing in 3D but it was so long I started feeling the effects taking their toll on my eyes. I got super hyped for Tron Legacy in 3D, but 4 scenes were filmed in actual 3D. At least they tell you at the beginning, but what a letdown to find out after you've buy two tickets for a midnight show and are already sitting in your seat. At that point, I became cautious about which films to see in 3D. Being selective, I went more for animated features in 3D because the clarity of the visuals and already computer rendered scenes benefited from the extra help of 3D. Legend of the Guardians: The owls of Ga'hoole was one where an already breathtaking movie was even more enjoyable in 3D. Despicable Me, Megamind and Up were also much more enjoyable in 3D that they were in 2D.

Then on the other hand you have the big budget Hollywood blockbusters where 3D does absolutely nothing for my experience. Avengers, Dark Knight Rises, The Amazing Spiderman, Star Wars: Episode I were semi-worthless to me in 3D. The 3D effect was shallow to say the least. Then you have movies that really don't need the 3D treatment like Dredd, Fast and the Furious, Piranha 3DD (actually, I take that back. The boobie jiggling was worth the ticket price but damn is Christopher Lloyd hideous in 3D) and the upcoming GI Joe: Retaliation. What's the point? I'm not going to pay to see these in 3D, these are movies that benefit in no way from all the time/money/effort it takes to render them in 3D. I think 3D has hit the same wall it hit back in the 60's, over saturation and shallow effects in exchange for a pricier ticket. The movie industry just needs to shift focus to going full digital projection. The new Sony 4K systems have an amazing frame-rate output that makes 3D look passe. 45-60 frames per second for a crystal clear picture that rivals home theater Blu Ray.

SW epVII gets a Disney Fast Pass?


We literally need a weatherman to come out everyday and tell us about the progress on the newest Disney venture, Star Wars: episode VII- Don't fuck it up Mickey or I'm calling Truly Nolen. It's almost been a whole month since the Mouse bought LucasFilms outright for 4.05 billion dollars, a total so staggering and a deal so sudden it sent the fattest of nerds into cardiac arrest and the rest of us contemplating the Saga's fate now that it's under new management. Everyday there's new news, new potential release dates, news on who from the original cast is down for reprising their roles (and let's face it, #1/ do any of them really have anything else better to do? #2/  see the first explanation), who's not really wanting to make an encore performance of their original role (don't you fucks pull a Bill Murray/Ghostbusters 3 on me or I'll track you down like the dogs you are and cry uncontrollably on your doorstep till you change your mind) and who might join the cast (lord be with you Disney if you mention any member of the Twilight cast or Justin Bieber because hell hath no fury like a legion of man-children scorned.). Everyday is a conflicting story and I'm not talking about internet rumblings, I'm talking about press releases directly from the Mouse House itself. Only time will tell, just hurry up the hell up Disney; Luke, Leia, Han and the rest of the group is lookin' mighty ancient.

my Thanksgiving hangover, "happy black Friday, war is over"


I didn't see any reason to leave the house the whole day. Not one thing tempted me to brave the crowds, I'm holding out for cyber Monday.


1 comment:

  1. I never got in to 3D, it just isn't for me. I hated it when I was a kid, and I hate it even more now. It's just so overrated. I don't like that every movie now a days has a 3D version. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete